Representatives from a healthcare organization asked us to help them reimagine the future of the electronic health record for their patients. Today, clinicians in these unique hospitals do their best to work around a broken system and process, often doing what it takes in the moment to get the job done, even when it is not as efficient or not compliant. Our work would serve as the North Star vision used to drive a rebuild of the system.
How might we fix a broken workflow through a more useful electronic health record?
Because I have a broad set of skills and experiences as a designer, I was able to contribute to every part of this project, from research to interaction design and prototyping to creating mood boards and visual design, as well as making our final video. Being so deeply involved meant that the team was able to rely on me to carry our core ideas and concepts through each step and into every detail of our deliverables for a cohesive story. This also made our core team more lean and allowed us to pull in different specialists at different moments of the project for fresh or niche perspective.
Our approach was research-driven. We pushed to include an in-depth research phase that included many stakeholder interviews, discussions with SMEs, full day observations and shadowing in the local hospital, plus one-on-one interviews with clinicians, patients, caregivers, and others in the ecosystem. These were followed by a rigorous synthesis phase, which revealed overarching themes to solve for and opportunity areas for how the system could be more than a tool for clinicians.
These research insights can be clearly seen through the ideation of our custom interface design. We used sketch-outs and rapid paper prototyping to quickly uncover ways to push the interaction patterns and overall functionality, as well as to communicate these ideas to our client stakeholders. The visual design was also deeply influenced by what we saw in the field, and acted as another layer through which we wanted the system to enhance and empower this community.
The UX and VD were married in our final deliverables, which included a high fidelity, clickable prototype and detailed comps of key screens. We also created user journey maps and blueprints, as well as other documentation to communicate and socialize our process. Finally, we provided a video that told the story behind our vision, and worked closely with the build team to begin introducing first steps toward that vision.
If you're interested in seeing more, you can reach out to me for the full case study and other work samples.